Uneasy Line of a Priest

Vitus A. Adiita

Eight years have since passed swiftly

When from among your people

you called and anointed me

Nothing had I to my name

No talent, no worth, no beauty yet

My ashes you took away

And my shame with beauty you clothed


But nothing have I to show

No trophies no merits

But the scars of my frequent falls

And my broken vows


The broken vows, the soiled dignity

The scanty triumphs, the feeble excuses

The missed chances, the wasted graces

The empty pride, the exaggerated piety

Lay them me all down at your feet


Nothing have I to show

No trophies no merits

My broken pieces are what I bring

And a love enough to start again


Oh, that I could sing

The lyrics of my heart

And play the chords of my passion

I would sing an unending song

And dance a thousand miles


Nothing have I to show

No laurels, no prize no medals

Nothing that you could boast of me

Except the modest victories of grace


Would that I could paint

The colours of my love

And sketch my deepest yearning

I would change the hues of the sky

And colour the earth with your praises


But nothing have I to show

Nothing have I that you know not

For from you is all that I am

And nothing of me is hidden from you


For by name have you called me

Unworthy as I am have you chosen me

With grace, my shame you covered

And with power, my weakness clothed


Brokenness, have I to show

Scars of my hitting the ground

Signs of my frail attempts

And I won't give up

20.08.2024

On the occasion of my 8th priestly Anniversary

Comments